My boys are pretty independent when it comes to getting themselves breakfast. During the school year, I’m usually packing lunches while they are getting themselves ready to leave the house at 7:20am. So breakfast is usually more like cereal, fruit, yogurt, granola bars than pancakes. But on the weekends or in the summertime, Little Boy #2 especially enjoys something special for breakfast. These Best Ever Buttermilk Pancakes are the perfect thing!
Now I have to give my standard disclaimer whenever I claim something is “Best Ever”. It may seem really presumptuous otherwise, so I clarify that I’m aware of the fact that I have not tasted ALL the pancakes, so these are the BEST EVER of all the ones I’ve personally met. And they really are quite good!
They fluffed up very nicely, and had a great balance of sweetness and tang.
What I Love About Best Ever Buttermilk Pancakes
- They come together quickly, and make just the right amount for the pancake lovers in my family.
- If we don’t use all the batter, we can put it in the fridge for the next day, or go ahead and make the extra pancakes, freeze them individually, and warm them up in the toaster another day!
- If I don’t have buttermilk on hand, adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 1/4 cups whole milk is a good substitute. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes, and it will thicken right up!
Don’t be shy with the butter and real maple syrup. These would be out of this world with fresh blueberries in them! Hope you get the chance to slow down this weekend, and linger over a nice fluffy stack of pancakes with someone you love.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Perfectly fluffy and ready for butter and syrup. Make these and share them with someone you love this weekend!
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- For serving: Butter, real maple syrup, fresh berries
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, and whisk together until the batter is just blended. The batter will be thick. For thinner pancakes, add a little milk. Do not over mix.
- Allow the batter to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then heat a nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Use about 1/3 cup of batter per pancake, using the bottom of the measuring cup to help spread the batter out in the pan.
- Cook for about two minutes, or until the edges are dry, then flip and cook two more minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Keep warm in a 200-degree oven, or serve immediately.
Recipe slightly adapted from bonappetit.com
- Serving Size: 1 Pancake
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 487mg
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
Keywords: best ever buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, pancakes