Just thought I’d pop in and share these cute and easy little Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats. Valentine’s Day can bring up all kinds of feelings. I don’t really appreciate the commercial side of it, but I do appreciate the reminder to tell my people how much I love them. A handwritten love note, a little sweet treat, or some extra quality time together are never a bad thing!
These freeze dried strawberries are such a great way to add natural flavors and colorings to baked goods. I’ve seen them added to frostings with great results, so I decided to try adding them to the marshmallow and butter mixture in the traditional Rice Krispie treat recipe. It’s so delicious! The strawberry flavor comes through so well, and I think the color is really lovely.
You can crush them by hand, or a quick pulse in the food processor will work well also. You just want a powdery texture. You can also use other freeze dried fruits, like raspberries or blueberries. Just make sure you are using freeze dried fruit, rather than just dried fruit.
Add the powdered freeze dried strawberries to the marshmallow and butter mixture just as the marshmallows have almost completely melted. What a great way to naturally add color! Definitely let the kiddos help with this recipe – it’s so fun to see the marshmallows change color.
Use a heart shaped cutter to make shapes, or just cut them into squares. You could even insert a popsicle stick into the Rice Krispie treats and let kids decorate with frosting and sprinkles.
Have fun with these Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats, friends! I hope you have a wonderful week.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats are delicious! The strawberry flavor comes through so well, and the color is perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- 1.2 ounces freeze dried strawberries
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounce bag marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Crush the freeze dried strawberries into a powder, either by hand or with a food processor. Set aside.
- Prepare a 9 by 13 inch pan by spraying with nonstick spray, or coating with softened butter.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until almost completely melted.
- Add powdered freeze dried strawberries and stir until incorporated.
- Remove from heat, and stir in Rice Krispies cereal.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and then press gently.
- Allow the Rice Krispie treats to cool, and then cut into desired shape. Cover tightly until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Square
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 107mg
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: strawberry, Rice Krispie treats, freeze dried strawberries, Valentine’s Day dessert