I’ve got one more quick and easy little treat for you to make for Valentine’s Day. These Strawberry Pie hearts are made with pre made frozen pie crust and strawberry preserves. They are really fun to put together, and I’m always a sucker for hand pies!
Of course you can really use any kind of preserves you like. Blackberry would be wonderful, and I’ve also used cherry.
I used the blunt end of a wooden skewer to dot and seal the perimeter of the heart, and I like the way this looks rather than pressing the edges with the tines of a fork because it doesn’t distort the shape of the heart. Picky, picky, I know.
This little recipe also calls for course sparkling sugar, which you can find in the baking section of your craft store, and I have seen them in some grocery store baking aisles as well. It sweetens the otherwise savory pie crust, and gives it a nice crunch.
I have made this recipe with a pre made frozen crust from Trader Joe’s as well as Marie Callender’s brand, and they were both flaky perfection! Have fun with these, and Happy Valentine’s Day!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Heart shaped hand pies filled with strawberry preserves and sprinkled with sparkling sugar!
- 2 frozen pie crust rounds (or homemade of course)
- 12 teaspoons strawberry preserves or jam
- 1 egg beaten plus 1 tablespoon milk
- course sparkling sugar
- Thaw pie crust at room temperature according to directions.
- Unroll one at a time onto a flour dusted surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the pie crust so it is slightly thinner and to mend any cracks from rolling it out.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out twelve hearts and place them on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place a teaspoon of jelly onto the center of each heart.
- Repeat the cutting process with the second pie crust round, and place the corresponding heart on top of the preserves.
- Press gently around the edges of the heart to seal. Use the blunt end of a wooden skewer making “dots” all around the perimeter to further seal the edges.
- Place the unbaked hearts in the freezer to chill while you preheat the oven to 425 degrees. This will help them hold their shape.
- Whisk the egg and milk together, and when the oven is ready, remove the hearts from the freezer and brush the top with the egg wash. Sprinkle the top generously with the sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown around the edges.
- Don’t worry if some of the preserves bubbles out of the heart. This happened to a few of mine, and there was still enough preserves inside the hearts once they cooled.
- Serving Size: 1 Pie Heart
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 129mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Keywords: strawberry pie hearts, hand pies, strawberry, pie, Valentine’s Day