- 2 frozen pie crust rounds (or homemade of course)
- 12 teaspoons strawberry preserves or jam
- 1 egg beaten plus 1 tablespoon milk
- course sparkling sugar
- Thaw pie crust at room temperature according to directions.
- Unroll one at a time onto a flour dusted surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the pie crust so it is slightly thinner and to mend any cracks from rolling it out.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out twelve hearts and place them on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place a teaspoon of jelly onto the center of each heart.
- Repeat the cutting process with the second pie crust round, and place the corresponding heart on top of the preserves.
- Press gently around the edges of the heart to seal. Use the blunt end of a wooden skewer making “dots” all around the perimeter to further seal the edges.
- Place the unbaked hearts in the freezer to chill while you preheat the oven to 425 degrees. This will help them hold their shape.
- Whisk the egg and milk together, and when the oven is ready, remove the hearts from the freezer and brush the top with the egg wash. Sprinkle the top generously with the sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown around the edges.
- Don’t worry if some of the preserves bubbles out of the heart. This happened to a few of mine, and there was still enough preserves inside the hearts once they cooled.
- Serving Size: 1 Pie Heart
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 129mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg