I’m writing this post while I’m visiting my little brother’s family in Southern California. Little Boy #2 and I had some special bonding time on our road trip to get here, and he is having an absolute blast playing with his 3 year old cousin who thinks he is the funniest boy in the world. I overheard her ask him if he would be giving her a ring when they get married. Adorable! He politely explained to her that she has to find someone besides him to marry her, because as much as you’d like to keep it all in the family, you can’t marry your cousin.
I love visiting this place. My sister-in-law always takes me to the best places to eat, like Sidecar Donuts in Costa Mesa. Did you know there is such a thing as a huckleberry donut? Add that to your bucket list right now, foodie friends!
Obviously, I will be taking it easy on the calorie laden treats this week to make up for all the fun we had. Before I left last week, I made this lovely Springtime Pasta with Brown Butter Garlic Sauce for a quick weeknight dinner. It’s full of all my favorite things, like peas, asparagus, lemon and pine nuts.
The sauce is not too heavy, and the lemon makes everything taste so fresh and bright. The recipe listed below makes enough sauce to lightly coat the pasta, so if you are one who is more about the sauce than anything else, feel free to double it. And one thing that makes this pasta extra special is the homemade breadcrumbs. They only take a few minutes to make, but really add just the right crunch. If you are short on time and want to make the quick version of this recipe, you can use store-bought Panko breadcrumbs.
So it’s Monday and back to reality for me. Hello suitcases that need to be unpacked. Hello laundry. Hi there empty fridge.
Even with my bulging to-do list, I’m so glad to be home and have all my birdies in one nest again. It’s always a good thing to give yourself a chance to miss the ones you love!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Springtime Pasta With Brown Butter Garlic Cream Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
This pasta dish is perfect for Spring with a buttery cream sauce, asparagus, peas, pine nuts, fresh lemon juice and homemade breadcrumbs.
- 4 cups dry pasta (I used cavatappi)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed but mostly intact
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 20 stems), woody stem (bottom 2 inches) trimmed off and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cups peas
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (homemade or Panko is an okay substitute)
- *To toast pine nuts, place them in a dry pan over medium heat until they are just turning golden brown. Stir occasionally as you toast them.
- Cook pasta, in salted water, according to directions.
Brown Butter Garlic Cream Sauce
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium high heat. Stirring frequently, let it get bubbly, then foamy. When you can smell the nuttiness developing (usually about 3-5 minutes), and see small brown flecks on the bottom of the pan, turn off the heat and pour the browned butter into a medium bowl to stop the cooking process.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, and add the smashed garlic cloves to let the flavor infuse the cream and browned butter. Set aside.
- Steam or boil your asparagus until it is just tender (3-5 minutes depending on the thickness). I add the peas to the steaming basket just before the asparagus is done to warm them up. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. In a blender or food processor, pulse a 3 inch slice of crusty bread, or a roll, until you have coarse crumbs. Lay them out in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, or until they are dry. Set aside.
- When your pasta is ready, remove the garlic from the brown butter cream sauce and discard. Wisk again if it is trying to separate, and then pour the cream sauce over the pasta. Add your asparagus, peas, and pine nuts.
- Squeeze your lemon over the pasta and sprinkle with lemon zest. Stir to combine. Taste the pasta and add more lemon juice / zest as desired.
- Dish out the pasta with asparagus and peas into your individual bowls and top with breadcrumbs. Serve with an additional lemon wedge if desired. Tastes wonderful served warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 653
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Sodium: 257mg
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18.6g
- Trans Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
Keywords: springtime pasta with brown butter garlic cream sauce, pasta, brown butter, garlic cream sauce, homemade breadcrumbs
Chloe @ foodlikecake says
That looks so good!
Annie @Maebells says
This looks so fresh! The brown butter garlic cream sauce sounds wonderful! I am adding it to my list of things to try!
Hi Annie! Hope you enjoy!
Tiffany @ Triple Crème Decadence says
I love the vibrancy of this dish. And, you can’t go wrong with brown butter! Mmmm…
Ooh, I never knew there was such thing as a huckleberry donut. I’d love to try it!
Thanks Tiffany! The donut was pretty amazing :0)
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
So pretty Julie! Any pasta dish that calls for brown butter must be mine. I must have this!!!! Glad we’re drinking the same koolaid Julie. (the asparagus koolaid that is. Except ew, that would be gross.)
You totally make me laugh out loud Karen! Not like the LOL kind, like literally laugh out loud. Thanks for always being hilarious :0)
The ingredient list calls for 1 teaspoon of sugar – is this part of the brown butter garlic cream sauce?
Yes, Joyce, the teaspoon of sugar goes into the brown butter garlic cream sauce. I will fix it in the recipe. Thanks so much for catching that for me!
Great – thanks!
Amy @ The Blond Cook says
This looks delicious! I have honestly never made pasta with asparagus. My local farmers market has a lot of asparagus right now… will have to make this soon!
Thank you Amy! Hope you do get a chance to try it out.
Sarah @ Running On Brie says
This pasta looks absolutely delicious. I’ve never used browned butter in a pasta dish before- and can’t wait to try it!
This sauce is my new favorite- it’s so versatile and flavorful without being overly heavy. The lemon balances it nicely. Hope you enjoy!
Jacquie Devin says
The springtime pasta is the second dish I’ve made from your recipes. 1st was the chicken pot pie, which has become a regular meal.
I made the springtime pasta exactly the way you wrote it including the sugar because fortunately I read the notes. It does add a very nice subtle hint of sweet.
It was a huge hit! Absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to try more. Keep me coming!!
Thank you so much!
Ps. Your family is lovely 😊
Thank you so much for your sweet comment Jacquie!