Remember that pesto we whipped up earlier this week? Here’s another way you could use it – to make these Roasted Baby Potatoes with Pesto. This dish would be a great addition to any summer potluck, alongside some grilled steak or chicken.
In addition to the roasted potatoes, we also have roasted grape tomatoes. GOOD things happen when tomatoes are roasted! They get all sweet and caramelized as the acidity mellows out. Along with the basil and garlic in the pesto, those tomatoes are where it’s at!
Try to find potatoes that are just about bite-sized because they really are creamier (with less starch) and the more colorful the mix, the more beautiful your dish will be. If you need to cut the potatoes in half or quarters, that is fine too.
There’s no need to parboil the potatoes, just coat them in some olive oil, season with salt and pepper and then roast them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Then add the tomatoes and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes. They will burst and make a bit of a mess, so a piece of parchment underneath isn’t a bad idea if you don’t have a nonstick baking pan. Mine didn’t stick too bad, but I’m thinking parchment is a good idea.
Then when the potatoes are still hot from the oven, add the pesto and stir to coat. The hot potatoes will wake up all the flavors, and you won’t even believe how good it smells!
Why I Love Roasted Baby Potatoes With Pesto
- You can serve this warm and it will hold its heat for quite some time. But it really tastes great even at room temperature which is why I think it would be so perfect for a summer potluck, in place of the typical mayonnaise based potato salad.
- They are made with lots of fresh ingredients!
- No peeling necessary and they can be made in a hurry with your favorite store-bought pesto.
So this weekend, gather up your loved ones, make some good food, and get out there while the weather is so lovely!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 1.5 – 2 pounds baby potatoes, washed and dried well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup prepared or homemade pesto
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- fresh herbs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread out evenly.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then add tomatoes to the baking sheet, rolling them around a bit to coat them in the olive oil already on the baking sheet. Roast for another 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and tomatoes are bubbly and bursting.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes and tomatoes with pesto. Garnish with fresh herbs, and serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.