My husband and I make a pretty good team. We’ve been married for almost 13 years and have been friends since we were little kids. Over the years, we’ve learned who’s good at what and have fallen into a comfortable routine when it comes to housework and taking care of our boys.
I cook dinner and he usually does most of the dishes.
I wash and fold the laundry and he puts it away.
I write the recipes and take care of the photography, and he makes sure my writing is somewhat coherent and manages the techy stuff.
Yep, we go together like peanut butter and jelly…
Or like cookies and milk…
Or maybe we go together like pumpkin cake and maple cream cheese filling. This recipe is so impressive when served, and while it looks complicated, the rolling method really does go very smoothly. The maple cream cheese filling is very subtle in its flavor, not overwhelming at all. Also, it can be made ahead a day or two, wrapped in plastic wrap and kept in the fridge until ready to serve.Print
Fall’s favorite sponge cake rolled with maple cream cheese filling. Perfect for holiday get togethers!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly-roll pan and line with parchment or waxed paper. Grease and flour paper and set aside. Lay out a clean, smooth kitchen towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Be generous with the sugar as this will keep the cake from sticking to the towel.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on medium high speed until pale yellow. Add pumpkin and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture on low speed until combined.
- Pour cake batter onto prepared jelly roll pan evenly. I gave the pan a few firm taps on the counter to help it level out.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes. I used a dark colored pan and my cake was done at 11 minutes. To test for doneness, gently press the center of the cake. If it is done it will spring back.
- Remove from the oven and invert the cake onto the prepared kitchen towel. Carefully peel away the wax paper.
- Starting from the short end of the cake, gently roll the cake up in the towel and allow to cool while you make the filling.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, softened butter on low speed until smooth.
- Add maple syrup and heavy cream and beat on high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully unroll cake and remove towel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic food wrap.
- Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving. If you cake does happen to have some slight blemishes or cracks, this will cover them right up :0)
Source: Adapted from Libby’s
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 33g
- Sodium: 290mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 9.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
Keywords: pumpkin roll, maple cream cheese filling, cake roll, pumpkin sponge cake, Thanksgiving, fall baking