Hey there LLK friends, I’m so excited to share these Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches! Here in AZ, we are living in a furnace right now, which means ice cream and popsicles and slushies are pretty much what’s keeping us alive. It’s not so bad really. Just don’t wear short shorts and then expect to sit on your leather car seats without a consequence.
I made these for our Father’s Day get together and they really hit the spot. We kept saying, “Oh I’m too full. Cut that one in half, I’ll share it with you…” and then coming back for another half soon after.
My mother-in-law makes the best chocolate chip ice cream cookie sandwiches and she discovered that they taste best (and are easier to eat) when you make them about a week ahead of time. The cookies slowly absorb some of the moisture from the ice cream and get nice and soft. Seriously heaven! I highly recommend making these ahead of time too.
That fun waffle pattern on top is made with this cookie stamp. Putting the kids in charge of smashing the dough is a great way to get them in the kitchen with you! You can also just use a fork to make a crosshatch pattern.
You don’t have to dip them in milk chocolate and roll them in salty peanuts, but I’m pretty sure you love them even more if you do! Stay cool friends!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
We’ve got soft peanut butter cookies with vanilla ice cream, a milk chocolate coating and crushed peanuts – OH MY!!! Just what summer needs!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Chocolate Dip
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon oil (avocado, vegetable, or canola)
- 1.75 quart carton of vanilla ice cream (I love Tillamook)
- 1 cup chopped salted roasted peanuts
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed.
- Add egg and egg yolk, vanilla extract, and peanut butter. Mix until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking soda. Gradually add to wet ingredients on low speed until a smooth dough forms.
- Scoop 1 inch balls onto a baking sheet (12 per batch), and press with a cookie stamp, or make a crosshatch pattern with a fork on top of the dough balls,
- Bake 9-10 minutes, or until the edges are just turning golden brown. Remove from the oven, and transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the cookies are baked and cooled, freeze the until very firm in an airtight storage container.
- When the cookies are firm, add one scoop (about 1/4 cup) of vanilla ice cream on one cookie, and top with a second cookie. Work quickly and do a few at a time, stopping to add the assembled cookie sandwiches to the freezer as needed so the ice cream stays frozen.
- Once all the sandwiches are assembled and frozen solid, prepare the chocolate for dipping.
For the Chocolate
- Stir together 3 cups of milk chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon oil in a heat safe glass bowl over a pan with a half an inch of simmering water (double boiler) until smooth. Dip half of each cookie sandwich into the melted chocolate, then roll it in the crushed peanuts. Place it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze. Once the chocolate is set, transfer them to freeze long term in an airtight container. The longer the cookies sit in the freezer, the softer the cookie will be and the easier they are to eat. I recommend making them one week ahead of time.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie Sandwich
- Calories: 431
- Sugar: 33g
- Sodium: 235mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
Keywords: peanut butter cookie ice cream sandwiches, peanut butter cookies, ice cream sandwiches, milk chocolate