One of my favorite stores to shop at is Trader Joe’s. It’s a little further away than my everyday grocery store, which is about 0.2 miles away, but I love all the flowers, fresh produce and fun little things they have that other stores don’t. What I don’t particularly like are the itty bitty carts. My boys love them, but let’s be honest, my ankles pay the price every time. They mean well, but they don’t always watch where they are going!
Last time we visited good old TJ’s, I saw these tiny mint chip ice cream sandwiches in the frozen section. When we got to the car, I pulled them out of the grocery bag and took them up to the front seat with me. Tell me I’m not the only one… I totally couldn’t wait until I got home to try them! So good!
These Mint Chip Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches are inspired by those, and we totally loved them. Even when frozen, the cookie stays a little soft and chewy, so they are easy to bite into. You’ll love that they are super easy because they start with a cake mix. Sometimes you just need a little shortcut!
I picked out a mint chocolate chip ice cream that did not happen to be green, but really you could use whatever flavor you fancy.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These Mint Chip Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches are such a tasty frozen treat! You’ll love how fast they come together.
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1/2 gallon Mint Chip Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together cake mix, eggs, and butter until smooth. The dough will be stiff and sticky.
- Drop by tablespoons onto a Silpat of parchment lined baking sheet. I did 9 cookie per sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then let them cool on the pan for 3-4 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- To make the cookies easier to work with when you are making the ice cream sandwiches, try freezing them for about an hour so that they are firmer. I made room in my freezer for the whole cooling rack so that they could be a single layer and not stick together.
- Once they are frozen, place a scoop of ice cream on one cookie and top with another. Press them together gently so the ice cream scoop flattens. Use a spoon to scrape off excess ice cream. Freeze immediately.
Keywords: mint chip Oreo ice cream sandwiches, ice cream sandwiches, chocolate cookies