Well hello there, LLK friends! Hope you are all having a lovely day.
Have you been baking much lately? I’ve been doing lots of baking, testing, and tasting but less writing, posting, and sharing even though I’m really excited to tell you about these Honey Bran Muffins. I’m always on the quest to create something healthy and comforting to have waiting for us to snack upon.
These Honey Bran Muffins definitely fit the bill as they are full of all things good for you, and even better, no refined sugar.
I have to admit, I’ve become accustomed to sweet tasting muffins which are really more like naked cupcakes, and they have surely tainted my palate. These muffins are more in line with what a muffin traditionally should taste like, with just a hint of sweetness from the honey and applesauce. The hearty flavor of the bran comes through, and I found these muffins to be the perfect base for a generous slathering of butter and jam or honey. We also liked them with our favorite mixed nut butter.
The ingredient list is wholesome and nutritious, with white whole wheat flour, bran, flax, and chia seeds. It’s a wonderful way to start the day!
I like to bring them along when I go hiking, and the boys liked them as an after-school snack (as long as there was plenty of butter and jam!).
I think I’ve made at least four batches of these in the past few weeks because we’ve been so sad to see the last one snatched up!
If you enjoy bran muffins, I think you’ll love this recipe. It lends well to adaptations, and the possibilities for mix-ins make them very customizable. Let me know what you think if you get the chance to try them!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 2 cups all bran buds
- 1 1/4 cup warm whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (in liquid form)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chunky unsweetened applesauce (I used Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a standard size muffin tin with parchment liners. Spray each liner with nonstick baking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the bran cereal and warm milk. Allow this mixture to soften while you measure out the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, ground flax, chia seeds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- To the softened bran mixture, add coconut oil, egg, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, honey, and applesauce. Mix together on medium low speed until everything is smooth and creamed together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the batter, and mix on medium low speed until everything is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into each muffin well. They will be very full. You can fill them 2/3 full if you would like smaller muffins, but be sure to adjust the baking time as they will bake more quickly.
- Bake the muffins for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- These muffins are delicious served warm with butter and a drizzle of honey, or with nut butter and jam. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 223mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 18mg