- 2 cups all bran buds
- 1 1/4 cup warm whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (in liquid form)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chunky unsweetened applesauce (I used Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a standard size muffin tin with parchment liners. Spray each liner with nonstick baking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the bran cereal and warm milk. Allow this mixture to soften while you measure out the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, ground flax, chia seeds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- To the softened bran mixture, add coconut oil, egg, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, honey, and applesauce. Mix together on medium low speed until everything is smooth and creamed together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the batter, and mix on medium low speed until everything is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into each muffin well. They will be very full. You can fill them 2/3 full if you would like smaller muffins, but be sure to adjust the baking time as they will bake more quickly.
- Bake the muffins for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- These muffins are delicious served warm with butter and a drizzle of honey, or with nut butter and jam. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 223mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 18mg