This simple little recipe came out of a place of slight desperation. It’s a place I sometimes find myself in when I glance up at the clock and can’t believe it’s already 4pm and my boys are getting a little hangry (hungry plus angry) and I’m sorry to say I really haven’t given any thought of what I will be making for dinner. And this is when Little Boy #3 wakes up from his nap wanting me to hold him. Then cue Little Boy #1 to start begging for a snack, even though he already had a banana, granola bar, carrots, and a string cheese when he came home from school. And when one boy wants a snack, they all want a snack! I try to convince them that if they can just hold tight, I will make dinner, daddy will come home and we can all sit down and eat very soon and that a snack right before dinner is not a good idea so can you just save your hungry for a little bit longer please?
Good thing I had a few chicken breast thawing in the fridge and half a box of rice in the pantry…
Good thing this came together quickly and I was able to fill their tummies and put smiles back on their faces.
Well, two out of three of them at least. One was determined to stay grumpy and would probably have snubbed even his favorite meal in that kind of mood. Good thing his mama thinks he’s cute anyway.
You can make this to suit your own taste and add your favorite steamed veggies– carrots, snow peas, or broccoli would be a nice addition. Or grilled pineapple would be awesome too.Print
Sticky, sweet homemade teriyaki sauce over grilled chicken and rice is a simple and satisfying quick weeknight meal.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced thinly
- 4 servings cooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Toasted sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together 3/4 cup water, ginger, garlic powder, soy sauce, honey, and brown sugar.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup water, and whisk into other ingredients.
- Continue heating and stirring occasionally until it gently boils and thickens.
- Place sliced chicken on rice and drizzle with teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
Teriyaki Sauce slightly adapted from food.com
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 973mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 41g
- Cholesterol: 102mg