So what’s a food blogging girl to do when she’s longing for all things fall, like thick, soft blankets on the couch, slippered feet, a warm mug of cinnamon tea, and pumpkin spice candles but it’s 96 degrees outside? Well, let’s be honest she’s probably going to fuss about how hot it is and lament the fact that she lives in a place that can’t seem to get the hang of the whole FOUR SEASONS idea… And then make some Homemade Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream! The best of both worlds – fall and summer – in one little bowl!
When I made my Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer a few weeks ago, and first inhaled its sweet spiced aroma, I immediately thought, this smells like ice cream! I adjusted the milk/cream ratio and gave it a whirl in the ice cream maker and the result was absolute PERFECTION! I could hardly wait for the boys to get home from school so they could taste it. Little Boy #2 took one bite, and literally fell off the kitchen barstool – completely knocked out by how amazing it tasted! Not that he is one to be overly dramatic at all… 🙂
To add a little crunch, we topped ours with some crushed up graham crackers which were reminiscent of a pie crust. Love!
You do need to heat the ice cream mixture in order to cook out the raw taste, and to help the spices come to life. So this is a good one to make ahead of time so that the mixture has time to chill before it’s time in the ice cream maker.
I really do hope it will cool down soon! But in the meantime, ice cream makes everything better!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
One of the very best homemade ice creams I’ve ever made. This is a MUST MAKE for fall!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Optional Topping: Graham cracker crumbs
- In a medium size pan over medium heat, bring milk, sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract to a low simmer, stirring frequently.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then add heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Pour the chilled mixture into the well of your ice cream maker, and churn according to the directions. Pour the ice cream into a container, cover, and freeze until firm. Serve with crushed graham cracker crumbs as a topping.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 21mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
Keywords: homemade pumpkin pie ice cream, homemade, ice cream, pumpkin