Hello friends! This is a sponsored post in partnership with McCormick. Today we are teaming up to bring you this recipe for a prep ahead healthy power bowl with grilled chicken and red peppers, baby spinach, farro, feta cheese, and sunflower seeds.
Lunch time. What to make, what to MAKE??? Tempted to sneak a few nuggets off Little Boy #3’s plate, but I know I can do better than that. Decisions, decisions… What’s in the fridge? Oh yeah, that’s right! I prepped ahead and now I have everything I need to make my Grilled Chicken Power Bowl. SAVED from that near nugget disaster!
Okay, sorry for the drama, but I’m sure I’m not alone in this lunch time dilemma. That’s why I’m happy to share my newest lunchtime strategy today! Over the weekend when I have some spare time, I prepare everything I need to avoid regret when hunger strikes. I marinate, grill and chop the chicken. While the grill is fired up, throw on some red pepper. I cook the farro on the stovetop, and whip up that avocado cream. My weekday self is is so happy with my weekend self!
Power bowls are the perfect way to eat healthy in a hurry whether you are home or on-the-go. The combinations of flavors are endless and they pack up nicely… just pick your favorite complex carbohydrate, protein, and veggies. I like to add in healthy fats from nuts, seeds, and cheeses as well.
The Whipped Avocado Cream is definitely the perfect addition to any power bowl. It’s really simple to make with just avocado, lime, honey, olive oil, and McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning. Drizzling olive oil into the food processor or blender as you whip the avocado gives it the smoothest, creamiest texture. You can either serve it on the side as a dip, or mix it into a “chopped” style power bowl like a dressing.
I also used McCormick’s Garlic and Herb Seasoning to marinate the chicken breasts along with some olive oil and lemon juice before I grilled them. It’s my go-to seasoning for grilling chicken to use in all kinds of recipes because it adds great flavor without being overpowering or too salty.
With everything prepped and ready to go for the week, lunch time will be drama-free. Just say no to the nuggets!Print
A great way to plan ahead for a quick and healthy lunch at home or on-the-go!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 red peppers, cut into large strips with seeds and stem removed
- 4 cups cooked farro
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons salted, roasted sunflower seeds
Whipped Avocado Cream
- 2 avocados, peeled and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 4–5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place chicken breasts into a plastic resealable bag along with the seasoning, olive oil and lemon juice. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat the grill to 350-375 degrees. Oil the grates to prevent the chicken from sticking. Grill the chicken until cooked though or about 7-10 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the chicken breast.
- While the chicken is grilling, add the red peppers to the grill until they are just beginning to soften, about 3 minutes per side.
- To assemble a power bowl, I like to chop the chicken, peppers and spinach into bite sized pieces before dividing four ways and mixing in the farro, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, and Whipped Avocado Cream.
Whipped Avocado Cream
- Place avocados, lime juice, honey, and seasoning in the food processor or blender and process until smooth. Drizzle in olive oil slowly while processing until you have a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 1155
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 954mg
- Fat: 62g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 44.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 97g
- Fiber: 21g
- Protein: 63g
- Cholesterol: 135mg
Keywords: grilled chicken and red pepper power bowl, whipped avocado cream, chicken, farro, healthy lunch