Today I’m teaming up with KitchenAid to bring you this recipe for super fun mini cornbread waffles topped tostada style!
Hello there friends! Hope your day is a good one. I’ve got something a little different for you here on LLK that possibly needs a little explanation. What we’ve got is a mini cornbread waffle served tostada style, topped with a green chile cream, grilled chicken, and avocado… a Green Chile Chicken Waffletada!
These were really fun to make (and EAT) and I think there are so many things you could do with it to make it your own. Got leftover chili? Perfect. Top it with some cheese and sour cream. Or how about some shredded BBQ pork? So good! Or you could make the cornbread waffles for breakfast with a fried egg, bacon, sliced tomato and avocado. Can you tell I’m hungry? How would you top your waffletada?
You could even set up a sweet and savory waffle bar with all kinds of toppings, gather your friends around, and let them make their own creations. Waffletada bars are forecasted to be the next big thing for 2016, you heard it right here!
I used a really simple mix of spices to make my own taco flavored seasoning with chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic powder. This is a really great mix to have on hand.
I used my KitchenAid Waffle Baker to make the mini cornbread waffles. I cannot say enough about this beautiful machine. It cooks two waffles at a time, flipping them over so that the batter fills every little nook and crevice. The waffles bake up really fluffy and NEVER stick, with no greasing necessary.
Hope you get the chance to get in the kitchen and give these a try! If you come up with your own variation, leave a comment and tell me about it! I’m nosy like that, okay.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Green Chili Chicken Waffletada
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
A mini cornbread waffle served tostada style, topped with a green chile cream, grilled chicken, and avocado!
For the Cornbread Waffle
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped, roasted green chiles,
For the Green Chile Cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped, roasted green chiles
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Avocado, fresh cilantro, lime, salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add egg, buttermilk, and butter and whisk together, being careful not to over mix. Fold in green chiles and set aside. Batter will be thick.
- Preheat your waffle maker.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream and green chiles. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium pan over medium high heat. Mix seasoning together, and sprinkle over both sides of the chicken. Add chicken to the pan and cook for about 7-8 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- When the waffle maker is hot, add 1/2 cup of batter to the center and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- While the waffles are baking, slice the chicken thinly, and prepare the toppings.
- To assemble the waffletada, spoon the green chile cream onto each waffle and top with sliced chicken, avocado, and cilantro. Serve with a slice of lime.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 581
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 549mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 154mg
Keywords: green chile chicken waffletada, cornbread waffles, green chile cream, chicken
This post is sponsored by KitchenAid.
Teri Giese says
I pinned your recipe before I printed, well, cuz, I pin all of your recipes, always are good. Is different and didn’t know which board to place it on. Figured the name was combining a waffle and a tostada, so I put it on my “breakfast, brunch”board.I would eat that combo for brunch, for sure! Is pinned none the less, and I have accidentlly pinned items in far worse places! Hate when that happens, never take the time to figure out how to put on the correct board! Do not see a cut and paste option! So, thanks, I like this fresh take on a Mexican food!! Yummy!
Haha Teri, yes I definitely blurred the lines on this one. Sorry to goof up your board. If you mouse over the pin you want to move to a different board, you will see a little icon that looks like a pencil in the upper right hand corner. If you click on that, it will let you choose which board you would like to move it to. Hope this is helpful! Thank you for your kind words.
You always have beautiful pictures and it makes
Cooking look so yummy!!
Thank you for sharing!
Erin, thank you so much for you sweet comment!