I kind of have to laugh because as I see all the beautiful pictures and recipes with clean, healthy ingredients all I can think about is Almond Sticky Buns! I know we all need a little reset from the holidays, and I feel that too believe me, but in the midst of all the quinoa, kale, and green smoothies, I’m taking a little break from being good. And it feels sooo right!
I LOVE being outside in the gorgeous AZ winter weather, hiking and walking and running. With three boys, we MUST get outside or this mama goes crazy! But to be honest – the more active I am, the more I crave. I just get so hungry, and I’m literally salivating over the thought of these sticky buns as I’m rounding the final turn of a long run. Please send help!
Wait, no. Don’t, I’m not ready to change! I guess as long as we’re balanced we’re okay right? My heart says yes, but jeans say you wish!
If you’ve ever made my cinnamon rolls, these are pretty similar. I make all my sweet rolls by hand – without a mixer. The picture above shows the rolls before they rise, and the bottom picture after 45 minutes in a warm place. Instead of frosting, the rolls are set in a caramel almond sauce and then baked, and turned upside onto a plate while they are still hot. The sauce sort of soaks in and makes the top nice and sticky. I’m so in love with these, I had to bring them to people just to see them smile as they tasted them. Share and share alike friends!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Warm, buttery sweet rolls with a sticky almond caramel top! You will fall in love too!
For the Dough
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, pour warm water over the yeast. The water should feel warm to the touch, but not scalding. Stir to dissolve the yeast, making a paste. Leave the yeast for 5 minutes, then add the warm milk and stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar and stir. Then add half of the flour, mixing by hand. Add the melted butter, stir, and then the rest of the flour. You want the dough to be slightly sticky and soft but manageable. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. I use the “bread proof” oven setting.
- While the dough is rising, you can make the caramel sauce. In a medium pan, melt butter, sugar, and cream over medium high heat until bubbly. Allow to bubble for 2 minutes stirring constantly, then stir in the almonds. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- After the dough has doubled in size, scoop it out onto a well floured surface and roll into a rectangle about 18 inches on the long side.
- Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar.
- Roll the dough starting with the long end, tightening the roll as you go. Using a serrated knife, or a piece of dental floss, cut the roll of dough in half, and then again. Cut each quarter into four sections, so you have 16 total.
- Prepare two pans by lining them with parchment paper. I used a 9 by 9 inch square baking dish, as well as an 8 inch round dish. Pour half of the caramel almond sauce into each pan and spread to the edges. Place the uncooked rolls into each pan, leaving space in between.
- Cover the rolls with a clean kitchen towel, and put them in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes. The gaps between the rolls should be mostly filled in. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the rolls with the oven rack in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top of the rolls are beginning to brown.
- Place a plate over the top of the rolls, and turn upside down. Remove the parchment paper, and serve!
- Serving Size: 1 sticky bun
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 94mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Keywords: almond sticky buns, sticky buns, sweet rolls, almonds, caramel