I’m getting ready to go on a little retreat to Nashville with my friends at KitchenAid, so I’m making a sweet little treat for my boys to have while I’m gone. Leaving treats helps relieve a little of that mommy guilt we sometimes feel but know we shouldn’t. It’s so good to miss the ones you love the most.
And the boys always have so much fun with dad while I’m gone. But if I could make one request, please eat at least one fruit and one vegetable each day, and scrub those feet in the shower okay?
Oh, and watch your screen time… you don’t want your brain to get mushy do you?
I pulled the recipe card for this Glazed Poppy Seed Almond Bread out of my box and it is written in my mom’s handwriting. There’s something so wonderful about a handwritten recipe, don’t you think? I hope food blogs don’t ruin that for our kids!
The recipe card says that it comes from both my mom and mother in law, so I’m wondering if my mother in law passed it along to my mom? Whoever the source, this bread is incredible. It bakes up more like a pound cake than some quick breads, and it is so moist and full of flavor. The glaze on the outside is sweet and I love how the orange and almond blend together.
This is one of the best quick bread recipes I’ve ever tasted, and it can also be made into mini loaves and freezes well. Just reduce the baking time to about 40 minutes for smaller loaves. Make this for someone you love!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
This quick bread is so moist and full of flavor. The orange almond glaze makes it irresistible!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two standard loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds and anise seeds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together oil, sugar and eggs together until smooth. Add milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and butter flavoring and mix together.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low speed until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into two standard sized greased loaf pans, and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Pour the glaze over the warm bread, and sprinkle sliced almonds if desired.
- Allow to cool completely and then store in an airtight container, or wrap in plastic wrap and foil to freeze.
For the Glaze
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together orange juice and sugar over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves and the glaze becomes transparent. Add the butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract, and allow to cool a bit before brushing or pouring over the bread.
- Serving Size: 1 Loaf
- Calories: 2967
- Sugar: 262g
- Sodium: 1604mg
- Fat: 133g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 111g
- Trans Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 411g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 294mg
Keywords: glazed almond poppy seed bread, poppy seed bread, orange almond glaze