- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two standard loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds and anise seeds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together oil, sugar and eggs together until smooth. Add milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and butter flavoring and mix together.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low speed until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into two standard sized greased loaf pans, and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Pour the glaze over the warm bread, and sprinkle sliced almonds if desired.
- Allow to cool completely and then store in an airtight container, or wrap in plastic wrap and foil to freeze.
For the Glaze
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together orange juice and sugar over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves and the glaze becomes transparent. Add the butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract, and allow to cool a bit before brushing or pouring over the bread.
- Serving Size: 1 Loaf
- Calories: 2967
- Sugar: 262g
- Sodium: 1604mg
- Fat: 133g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 111g
- Trans Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 411g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 294mg