Hope this fresh and tasty Flank Steak Taco recipe finds you doing well and enjoying your summer! Our summer days lately look like lots of swimming, reading out loud to each other, blending watermelon slushies, celebrating birthdays, and playing with cousins. All good things must come to an end (insert happy and sad face)… 13 more days until the boys go back to school.
With Little Boy #3 starting kindergarten this year, the question “What will you do with all that free time?” has come up more than once. I will definitely miss my boys and will be ready to see them at pick up time, but I do have a mental to-do list a mile long. I picture myself having a house so clean even my baseboards are shiny. Haha! Probably not.
I do look forward to having more time to spend developing recipes and sharing them with you. My posts this summer have definitely been a little light just because I’m busy with the boys, but I’ve got lots of ideas I’ll work on and share with you soon!
In the meantime, these flank steak tacos are a good way to make a quick dinner packed with fresh ingredients without heating up your kitchen. Flank steak is an inexpensive cut of meat that tenderizes as it marinates. Throw it on a very hot grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Then I like to slice it thinly against the grain, wrap it in a warm toasted corn tortilla, and then top it off with a scoop of avocado salad. Oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about these tacos!
If you have any leftovers, just cut the steak into cubes and add it to the leftover salad. Tomorrow’s steak salad lunch is ready to go! Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds and membranes removed)
- 1 can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups baby arugula, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice of two limes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Corn tortillas, browned or fried in a pan of hot oil
- Queso fresco, crumbled
- Extra lime slices
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add flank steak to a zip-lock bag and pour marinade over meat. Squeeze air out of the bag, seal tightly, and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Add the avocados, red onion, jalapeño, corn, beans, tomatoes, and arugula to a large bowl. Add olive oil, honey, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to a small jar. Screw the lid on and shake well to mix. Pour over avocado salad and stir to coat. Taste for seasoning and add salt to taste. Serve over flank steak, or with tortilla chips for dipping.
- To grill the flank steak, heat grill to 400 degrees. Add flank steak, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Remove the meat from the grill and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes, and then cut into thin strips with a sharp knife against the grain.