This Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake is the best kind of comfort food to me. I love the crispy Ritz cracker topping, the creamy white sauce, rotisserie chicken pieces, and tender vegetables. It’s the perfect cozy meal to make on an almost spring day. Serve with a simple side salad and dinner is on the table.
I remember when Cory and I were newly married, we used to keep a little stash of meals to pop in the oven in our freezer. I was working nights as a nurse, and cooking was definitely not as much of a priority. One of our favorites was a Stouffer’s Chicken and Rice Bake. It always tasted so good! This Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake is all the goodness of that old-time favorite, but homemade from scratch.
This recipe calls for 3 cups of cooked white rice. I like using cooked rice so that all the creamy white sauce isn’t soaked up by the rice as it bakes. I also try to keep a supply of cooked chicken pulled off a Costco rotisserie chicken in the freezer. It’s so convenient to have it on hand for recipes such as this.
The carrots, onion, and peas are an easy veggie combination, but you could add or substitute your favorites. We had a decent harvest of little carrots from our garden so in they went. Broccoli florets would be good if your family appreciates those – mine does not!
I hope you and your loved ones enjoy this Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake like we do. We all think the Ritz cracker topping is our favorite part. Let me know what you think if you try it!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion Chicken Base
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken from a rotisserie
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 30 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan with butter and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat. Add chopped onion, carrots and salt and saute until carrots are just tender and onions are translucent.
- Add flour and stir for 2-3 minutes, then add milk, Better Than Bullion Chicken Base, garlic powder, dried thyme leaves, onion powder, and pepper. Stir together, and cook until it comes to a simmer and thickens, about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, peas, sour cream and additional salt to taste.
- Spread cooked white rice evenly over the bottom of the greased pan. Pour the creamy chicken mixture over the rice.
- In a separate bowl, mix crushed Ritz crackers with melted butter and stir to coat. Sprinkle the crushed crackers over the top of the creamy chicken mixture evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and golden brown on top, then remove the pan from the oven and allow to set 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 902mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 85mg