In the midst of all my sourdough research and baking, I came across these amazing Chocolate Chip Scones. They turned out so incredibly buttery, tender, and delicious, I decided to try to share a recipe here for those of you who may not have a sourdough starter on hand.
For the original recipe that uses sourdough discard, go visit Little Spoon Farm. Amy has a whole bunch of fantastic sourdough recipes I’ve tried, and we especially loved her sourdough pizza baking method.
Scones are such an easy treat to whip up! I like to use my mini food processor to create little lumps of flour coated butter. These are the key to a flakey, tender scone or biscuit! Those little clumps of butter go into the hot oven, melt, and create steam. The steamy pockets in the dough create lift and separation in the layers of dough, which makes them irresistibly flakey! There, now you’ve had your science lesson for the day.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a pastry cutter and do the work by hand. Another method that will get the same result is to freeze the stick of butter, and then use a box grater to grate the very cold butter into the flour. These Dreamy Strawberry Cream Scones are another favorite!
The dough will be a bit crumbly, but as the butter melts in the heat of the oven, it will bind together. As long as you properly measure your flour (always fluff it up before scooping, and level the top with a knife), you won’t need to add additional liquid to the recipe.
Chilling the shaped dough in the refrigerator will help them hold their shape in the oven. Just before baking, brush the tops with heavy cream to give them a beautiful shine, and then sprinkle with sparkling sugar. This adds such a sweet, delicious crunch to the top. You could also use granulated sugar in a pinch.
This Chocolate Chip Scone recipe is a great base for making your own variation. You could leave out chocolate chips, and add in berries, currants, or nuts. Once you get the method down, there are so many possibilities!
We shared these scones with friends, and had a few ourselves, but the boys are already encouraging me to test out the recipe one more time, just to make sure it’s perfect… guess it wouldn’t hurt to make one more batch! The boys highly recommend having a glass of cold milk on the ready.
I think you all will love these are much as we do. Can’t wait for you to try them!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Chocolate Chip Scones
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 8 minutes
- Yield: 8 scones 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
These Chocolate Chip Scones are so irresistibly delicious with their buttery, flakey layers and sweet, crunchy topping. Can’t wait to make them again!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup very cold salted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup full fat Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons sparkling (or coarse) sugar
- In a food processor, pulse together 1 cup all-purpose flour and cubed butter until the butter is in pea-sized crumbles. Pour the butter and flour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add an additional 1 cup of flour to the mixing bowl, along with the sugar, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Mix together and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Pour into the mixing bowl of dry ingredients, and mix with a wooden spoon until a very crumbly dough forms. It may be helpful to use clean hands to bring the dough together.
- Pour the crumbly dough onto a floured work surface, and shape into a 3 inch by 12 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut the dough in half, then into quarters, and then cut each quarter diagonally so that you have eight triangles. Using the bench scraper, transfer the shaped dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about an inch between each one. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and when ready to bake, brush the top of the scones with heavy cream and sprinkle the sparkling sugar over the top. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes. I took them out at 18 minutes when the tops were golden. Transfer to a cooling rack, and enjoy warm!
This recipe is adapted from Little Spoon Farm’s Chocolate Chip Sourdough Scones recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 Scone
- Calories: 447
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 298mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
Keywords: chocolate chip scones, chocolate chip, scones
I made these chocolate chip scones and they were amazing! I have tried other scone recipes and this was by far the best.😊
Thanks for letting me know how they turned out, Debbie. So glad!
I have made these scones several times for family and friends. They are amazing! Thanks for the recipe.