- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup very cold salted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup full fat Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons sparkling (or coarse) sugar
- In a food processor, pulse together 1 cup all-purpose flour and cubed butter until the butter is in pea-sized crumbles. Pour the butter and flour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add an additional 1 cup of flour to the mixing bowl, along with the sugar, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Mix together and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Pour into the mixing bowl of dry ingredients, and mix with a wooden spoon until a very crumbly dough forms. It may be helpful to use clean hands to bring the dough together.
- Pour the crumbly dough onto a floured work surface, and shape into a 3 inch by 12 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut the dough in half, then into quarters, and then cut each quarter diagonally so that you have eight triangles. Using the bench scraper, transfer the shaped dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about an inch between each one. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and when ready to bake, brush the top of the scones with heavy cream and sprinkle the sparkling sugar over the top. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes. I took them out at 18 minutes when the tops were golden. Transfer to a cooling rack, and enjoy warm!
This recipe is adapted from Little Spoon Farm’s Chocolate Chip Sourdough Scones recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 Scone
- Calories: 447
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 298mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 71mg