Do you have your Easter Menu all set? I’m bringing these Carrot Cake Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting to one of our family get togethers, and so I thought I’d share the recipe with you all in case you need a sweet little treat to add to your menu.
These are a very friendly carrot cake. What I mean is there are no raisins, shredded coconut, or nuts. I even used a very fine grater for the carrots, so they are almost undetectable. Have you noticed that people are very particular about the way they like their carrot cake? Of course, you can add any of those items if you like, but I decided to keep mine pure so no one would turn up their noses. They are moist and sweet, and perfectly spiced. My boys loved these. I let them use the leftover green and orange frosting to decorate their own bars. Squeezing colored frosting out of a bag just never gets old.
After I had made these bars, I was looking for some inspiration for their decoration. I stumbled upon the most wonderful blog – Cafe Sucre Farine. The girl behind this cozy little virtual cafe is Chris, and I loved how she decorated her carrot cake bars. Check them out!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are moist, sweet and perfectly spiced!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (in liquid form)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, sugar and eggs. You can do this by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Add vanilla extract, applesauce, and crated carrots, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper lined (or greased) 9 by 9 inch baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, and then frost and cut into bars.
For the Frosting
- With an electric mixer, whisk softened cream cheese, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth and creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar as you mix.
- Reserve 1 cup of frosting for the carrot decoration. Spread the remaining frosting over the cooled cake.
- Divide the reserved frosting into two bowls and mix a few drops of green food coloring with one and orange with the other. Spoon the frosting into two bags fitted with a small tip if you have it, or cut off the corner of a zip top bag. Start by making the stems with the green frosting, and then add the carrot.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 233mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
Keywords: carrot cake bars, cream cheese frosting, carrot cake, Easter