My husband, Cory, asked me to make some peanut butter cookies, and I thought that sounded like a good idea. He’s been working hard to make Lovely Little Kitchen sparkle with a new design, and so he definitely deserved a treat! I realized I didn’t have a go-to peanut butter cookie recipe, but I thought it might be a good chance to experiment with brown butter again. Plus it meant I got to have a title for my post that contains the word “butter” twice! And we all know butter is goooood.
These are bakery sized peanut butter cookies – the crispy on the edges and soft and chewy on the inside kind. They have a rich peanut butter flavor, which is enhanced by the brown butter, and I love the addition of the sparkling sugar crystals on top. Even after a few days, these cookies were still super soft!
Of course I used my Silpat baking mat when I made these. I love the way it transfers heat so evenly, and makes clean up so easy because nothing sticks to it!
This recipe is not complicated, but it does require a couple of extra steps to make sure the cookies stay nice and thick without spreading too much while they bake. So make sure you read the recipe all the way through before you begin so you know what to expect as you go.Print
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- To brown the butter: In a small saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Whisk continuously and be careful not to let it burn. Let the butter boil until it foams up, and then turns brown and has a nutty aroma.
- As soon as you see the butter has turned brown, remove it from the heat and pour it into the bowl of an electric mixer. Let the butter come back to room temperature.
- When the butter is cool, add dark brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium speed. Then add the egg, and egg yolk. Mix until creamy.
- Add in the vanilla extract, and mix.
- Add creamy peanut butter and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add the oil and Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture on low speed until it is well combined and a dough has formed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a large scoop (ice cream scoop size), scoop balls of chilled dough onto a Silpat lined baking sheet, six per batch.
- Press down dough with the tines of a fork to make a crosshatch pattern, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. The edges should be slightly golden.
- Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.