Feeling very much like we are on the cusp of a new season, as I’m sure you are too. Here in Arizona, there is great relief as an ever so slight coolness can be felt when one steps outside first thing in the morning. Every year, this is the point where we collectively sigh and agree that we’ve made it through another summer. We didn’t die. We didn’t melt. But almost.
Before the recipes I share here on Lovely Little Kitchen switch over to all things warm, cozy, and comforting, I had to share one more berry recipe that we enjoyed this summer. The boys loved having a square of this Buttermilk Blueberry Snack Cake for breakfast with a glass of milk, or after school while doing their homework. It is very easy to throw together, and it is based on the blueberry muffin recipe I share recently, but I almost like it better because I don’t even have to worry about liners or filling up muffin wells. It’s a little bit sweet, and the crumb is very tender and light. No need to get out the mixer, just a bowl and wooden spoon will do.
Just in case you weren’t quite ready to say goodbye to summer berries either. This would also be delicious with blackberries or raspberries. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
A lovely little snack cake that is slightly sweet with a tender crumb and lots of juicy blueberries!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil (I used coconut oil in liquid form)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) fresh blueberries
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease or line a 9 by 9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Then add eggs and whisk until creamy. Add buttermilk, milk, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the batter and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly into the baking dish, and pour the blueberries over the top. Press them down gently so they are set down into the batter. They will sink some as they bake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes. The edges will be golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean when the cake is done.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Piece
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 194mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
Keywords: blueberry buttermilk snack cake, blueberry snack cake, snack cake, dessert, snack, cake, blueberries