Hello BLT Bliss Bowls… It sure feels like SPRING has SPRUNG around here! If I look past this week’s forecast, I can see the 90’s are coming our way, but for now it is sunny in the 70’s and we are loving it! I have a hike planned with some ladies from church today and I’m hoping see the wildflower bloom at its peak. I can’t resist posting my hiking pics over on my Instagram story, so if you like that kind of thing too, feel free to pop over and say hi!
I was inspired to make these BLT Bliss Bowls after I’d visited my grandparents last week. They live in a cozy little care home, and for some reason, we always end up talking about food whenever I visit. They go down to a dining room to eat all their meals, and one thing my grandma orders if nothing on the menu sounds good is a BLT sandwich. She used to grow her own tomatoes when they lived in Southern California, so of course, it’s not quite as good as homemade, but it hits the spot for her nonetheless.
It’s always fun to give classic recipes an update. These BLT Bliss Bowls have so much going on! They’ve got mixed baby greens, oven roasted tomatoes, crisp bacon, avocado, nutty quinoa, and creamy feta. I dressed them really simply, with just a drizzle of avocado oil, my favorite balsamic glaze from Trader Joe’s, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. We can do this guys!
I already had the quinoa cooked and stored in my fridge for the week, and I loved having to use in recipes throughout the week just like this one. I also love that I could cook the bacon and roast the tomatoes together on the same baking sheet. Here’s a little trick for you: If you put the bacon in the oven while it is still cold, the gradual increase in temperature will keep the bacon from shrinking up so much. I usually put the bacon in and then turn the oven on to 400 degrees. By the time it reaches that temperature, the bacon is perfectly crisp!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon oil (I used avocado oil)
- salt and pepper
- 4 strips center cut bacon
- 2 packed cups mixed baby greens
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Topping: Balsamic glaze* plus additional avocado oil, salt and pepper
- Place tomato halves one side of a baking sheet, and toss with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lay strips of bacon on the other side and place in the oven. Turn the oven on and set to 400 degrees. Cook the tomatoes and bacon for about 13-14 minutes, or until the tomatoes are blistered and the bacon is crisp. The oven will just about reach 400 degrees in that time.
- To assemble the bowls, place mixed baby greens on the bottom, and top with cooked quinoa and sliced avocado. Top with crumbled bacon, blistered tomatoes, and feta. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle with a bit more oil and balsamic glaze.
You can find balsamic glaze at Trader Joe’s in the oil and vinegar section. It’s wonderful on salads, but also on grilled veggies or chicken. You can also heat balsamic vinegar on the stovetop slowly to reduce it into a glaze. It becomes sweet and tangy!