A little carton of buttermilk in the fridge goes a long way. Not wanting to see it go to waste, that single carton inspired me to make those Old Fashioned Glazed Buttermilk donuts that you all went crazy for, a batch of my Best Ever Buttermilk Waffles for dinner, and these Best Ever Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins!
Why does buttermilk make baked goods so delicious? According to Fine Cooking, buttermilk is used in baking because it creates a “slightly acidic batter helps keep baked goods moist and tender by breaking down long, tough strands of gluten.” I definitely notice that my baked goods with buttermilk rise up to be lighter and fluffier, and the texture of the crumb is absolute perfection!
So along with buttermilk, another reason these are the Best Ever Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins is the height of that muffin top. I like to fill my muffin wells to the very top and even dome them a little. I love when the batter hangs over the top and creates that crisp edge!
And one of my favorite toppings is course sparkling sugar. It gives these muffins the best crunchy sweet topping. I’ll link it here, but you can probably find it in the sprinkle section in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
And oh man, those big juicy blueberries that can’t take the heat one more second and just burst that purple goodness all over the inside of the muffin. Perfection!
I think you’ll be surprised how quickly these come together too. I mix up all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and then I mix and measure the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in my 4 cup glass measuring cup. Just use a wooden spoon to mix everything together. The more gently you handle the batter, the more tender your muffin will be!
What a treat these Best Ever Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins are! Add buttermilk, blueberries, and sparkling sugar to your grocery list (you probably have everything else) and make these this weekend. You’ll be glad you did!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (canola, vegetable, or avocado)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3-4 teaspoons course sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a standard size muffin tin with parchment paper liners and spray each one with nonstick spray for baking.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually mix the buttermilk into the flour mixture, stirring gently and being careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Use a large scoop to divide the batter evenly into each muffin well. They will be filled to the very top. Sprinkle generously with sparkling sugar!
- Bake at 400 degrees for 22-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.