If you need a quick idea for dinner this week, and don’t have a lot of time because you are busy with your Thanksgiving preparations, this is your ticket. I love this soup because it gets most of its flavor from jarred marinara, which makes it so simple and easy to pull together. It’s not a boring soup, where each bite is the same as the next, because it is full of chicken sausage, cheese tortellini, and basil. A nice crusty grilled cheese sandwich for dipping would be a perfect match for this soup.
I adapted this recipe from Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats. I love following Kristin because her recipes are right up my alley, and also because her little guy and my little guy share the same name so I’m a little partial.
Make sure you use a good quality marinara as this is where most of the flavor is coming from. I found most of my ingredients in one stop at Trader Joe’s, including the marinara, chicken sausage and fresh basil. You could also use four cups of chicken stock (homemade or store bought) instead of the water and Better Than Bullion chicken base.
- 3 chicken sausage links
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ of an onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons Better Than Bullion Chicken Base
- 26 ounce jar of marinara
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 9 ounce package fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- In a large pot, brown chicken sausage over medium high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When chicken sausage is browned, add butter and onions. Stir them occasionally, and cook for 3 minutes or onions are translucent and soft,
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add 4 cups of water and chicken base. Stir to dissolve.
- Stir in marinara and sugar.
- Bring to a gentle boil, and add tortellini. Gently boil for 7 minutes, and then turn heat to low.
- Stir in heavy cream and basil, and serve.