I went to visit my brother and sister in law and their two little girls a few weekends ago, and I asked my sister in law (who is a great cook) if she had come across any good recipes lately. I’m always on the lookout for the next recipe to share here with you, and I love when people share their favorite recipes with me.
She then told me about her favorite Asian Chicken and Sesame Noodle Salad from R+D Kitchen. Have you been there before? I’ve eaten there with her before a while back, but hadn’t tried this salad. So she told me all about it, and this is my version of her description. So that’s my little disclaimer because I haven’t actually tasted R+D’s version…
One of the best things about this salad is the way the sweet mangos balance out the slightly spicy/nutty dressing. It’s got so many different tastes and textures going on. Usually I try to share recipes that don’t have too many ingredients, and while this recipe is not hard to pull together, it does have a few more ingredients than most of my recipes. But I loved it too much the way it was to omit anything from the list! Feel free to make it your own. Add your favorite veggies, and leave out anything that doesn’t do much for you.
We (my husband and I) liked this salad both room temperature and cold. If you eat it cold, you may need to add some of the leftover dressing because the noodles tend to soak it up. This is one of those salads you are so happy to see patiently waiting for you in the fridge the next day.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 1 pound Soba noodles or whole wheat linguine
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (I used a rotisserie from the grocery store deli)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup sliced and roasted almonds (plus more for garnish)
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Chinese chili oil or hot sauce(optional)
- 6 tablespoons tahini* (or smooth peanut butter)
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Cook pasta according to directions and drain. Add sesame oil to the noodles and stir to coat so that they won't stick together.
- Add the carrots, green onion, mango, and chicken.
- Pour the dressing over the noodle salad (I used about half), then stir in sesame seeds and almonds.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, additional almonds and sesame seeds, and Chinese chili oil if desired.
- Serve over butter lettuce leaves.
- Serve at room temperature or cold. I added more dressing to the noodles when I ate them the next day because they tend to absorb the dressing.
- Place the tahini, water, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger into the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Dressing slightly adapted from Lucinda Scala Quinn's Mad Hungry cookbook