Here’s the story behind these amazingly delicious Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. Making every effort here not to go to the grocery store unless absolutely necessary, and so I’m finding that I’m closely examining our pantry for ingredients that we have on hand to use.
I had two jars of natural peanut butter from Costco (the kind you have to stir) that I don’t usually buy, and no one around here really cared for. I think we rejected it because it has to be kept in the fridge, and it is a real hassle when trying to spread cold hard peanut butter on a soft piece of bread.
I really wanted to use this annoyingly natural peanut butter up before we opened another kind, and so I thought baking it into cookies would be the perfect disguise. Sure enough, my first batch of these Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter cookies disappeared in one day!
The dough comes together really quickly, and you really don’t even need to mix up the dry ingredients separately like most cookie recipes. I’ve written the recipe with the option of making them huge (like in the photos here) or more like a typical sized cookie.
The recipe will make one dozen large cookies, and I do recommend baking six at a time if you do them this way.
I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the dough for these large and in charge cookies. There’s something about a really big cookie that makes me so happy!
That feeling of sinking your teeth into such a big, soft and chewy cookie is heaven. They stay soft for days, though I can’t promise they’ll last that long.
You can use a fork to make a crisscross pattern on the cookies, but I love to use my cookie stamps for these. These stamps are really beautiful and well made if you don’t yet own any cookie stamps.
Just make sure the cookie dough is about 1/2 inch thick going into the oven. The dough will spread out a bit more as it bakes.
All this time at home is leaving us with plenty of time for baking. And maybe we are craving the comfort that comes with pulling something sweet and warm out of the oven, you too?
These Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies would make a great little treat to leave on a neighbor’s doorstep with a little note of encouragement. Sending hugs to you all!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These amazingly delicious Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies are the perfect thing to make when you are craving something sweet and comforting!
- 1 cup peanut butter ( I used natural, the kind that needs to be stirred)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together peanut butter, butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and milk, and mix together until creamy.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda and mix on low speed until a dough forms.
- Depending on the size of cookie you’d like, scoop dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet according to the following measurements: To make one dozen large cookies, use 1/4 cup of dough per cookie and bake six per baking sheet. For 2 dozen smaller cookies, use 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie and bake twelve on a baking sheet.
- Stamp each cookie or press a fork into the dough to make a criss cross pattern. The dough should be pressed to about 1/2 inch thick. It will spread some in the oven.
- Bake the larger sized cookies for 13-15 minutes. The smaller sized cookies will only need to bake 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 344
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 323mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
Keywords: peanut butter cookies, soft cookies, chewy cookies, peanut butter, cookies