Never underestimate what homemade Rustic Buttery Garlic Croutons can add to your steaming hot bowl of soup or fresh crisp salad! They are so easy to make, and I just love the crispy, buttery, crunch they add.
Many homemade crouton recipes start with cubing the bread, but we’ve found that tearing the bread rather than cutting it gives rough edges that brown more readily and add additional texture. Day-old bread works well for this recipe. If you have a larger loaf of bread, you can tear half of it for croutons and then freeze the other half for croutons another day.
I like to coat the torn bread pieces in a mixture of butter and avocado oil, along with dried garlic, onion, and parsley.
Watching very carefully, I toast them under the broiler, stirring every time the tops are golden, and then returning them to the broiler. It will only take 3-5 minutes, so don’t even walk away from the oven!
If you’d like to, you can grate fresh Parmesan cheese over the hot croutons right out of the oven. Add them to the top of your soup, and just like that, you’ve elevated a really good bowl of soup to a fantastic one! I’ll be sharing a new recipe for a Roasted Vegetable Soup next week here and we’ll put these Rustic Buttery Garlic Croutons to good use.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Rustic Buttery Garlic Croutons
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Add these Rustic Buttery Garlic Croutons to the top of your soup or salad to elevate it from good to fantastic!
- 1 loaf of French bread (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Tear bread into 1-2 inch pieces and place on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, melt butter and add oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle butter mixture over bread pieces and toss to coat evenly.
- Place baking sheet on center rack of the oven and turn oven to broil. Toast the bread pieces until the tops are golden brown, then remove from the oven, and stir. Return to the oven to broil. Watch carefully, this will only take 3-5 minutes.
- Stir again, and then remove when nicely toasted on all sides.
- Serve the croutons over soup or salad. Tastes best served immediately after baking.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 144mg
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: rustic buttery garlic croutons, buttery, garlic, homemade croutons, croutons, salad topper, soup topper
As much as I love your recipes, the popup ads drive me crazy. A happy medium would be nice. 🙂