This recipe for One Pot Creamy Tomato Orzo came together last minute when I just needed to get something going for dinner one night. We love to eat out, but I never want to spend the extra money because I didn’t plan well enough to make something at home. I want to eat out so we can do something special or celebrate something!
So last week I just had one of the those days where I didn’t think about dinner until everyone was already hungry and starting to turn on me. I looked in the pantry and saw a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a bag of DeLallo Whole Wheat Orzo… plus I knew there was some baby spinach in the fridge along with some Italian turkey sausage. Sometimes you just have to start cooking with what you have and hope it all works out, right?
Then when everyone is practically licking their bowls clean and asking for seconds, you give yourself a little mental high five and hurry to write down exactly what you did so you can do it again! Victory!
Somebody sign me up for Chopped!
Just kidding, please don’t.
I love that this dish is not only quick to make, but healthy too. We’ve got turkey sausage and lots of veggies, plus whole wheat pasta! And only one pot to clean up… have I convinced you yet?
Stock your fridge and pantry with all the ingredients and keep this one in your pocket for a busy day dinner plan this week! Enjoy friends!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 14.5 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil pesto*
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo ( I used DeLallo)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add sausage and crumble as it browns. When the sausage is browned add red peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes, basil pesto, chicken broth, heavy cream and sugar. Bring to a boil, and then add spinach and orzo. Stir. Turn heat down to medium low, cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When orzo is just tender, uncover and simmer a few more minutes to thicken the sauce. Stir in the cheese and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with extra Parmesan cheese on top if desired!