Happy Monday morning to you friends. Hope you had a really lovely weekend. We spent ours up at my in-laws cabin, where the weather is about 20 degrees cooler. Such a nice retreat, but a little hard to come back down to the valley where the highs are forecasted at 111 degrees for the next two weeks!
While we were away we packed in as much fun as we could – we rode around the forest in the Ranger, went kayaking at the lake, hiked a trail, and hid our first Geocache. Now that the boys are getting older, we are finding that so many adventures are easy to pull off, and we’re loving the stage we’re at right now.
I made this Healthier Coconut Almond Chex mix a few times last week, and I’m so excited to share the recipe with you. I remember making a similar sweet/salty coconut chex mix a few years ago that I LOVED, but I never made it again because it was LOADED with butter and corn syrup. If I would have been able to eat just one serving at a time, it would have been no big deal, but it was so addicting I finished off the pan waaaaay too quickly.
But no worries, because I found a way to make a similar snack mix just as yummy with healthier ingredients – coconut oil, honey, oats, unsweetened coconut, almonds… nothing to be ashamed of here! Of course, one still need to exercise a little self control so that one doesn’t eat the whole batch in one day (pointing finger at self). For the cereals, I used Honey Nut Chex and Multigrain Cheerios, but feel free to change it up with what you love. You could also substitute the almonds for peanuts, cashews, pecans, or whatever you have on hand.
I love this snack mix for summer because it’s quick to make and easy to pack up and take on the go. You can eat it by the handful, use it like a granola to top a bowl of fruit and yogurt, or even sprinkle over vanilla ice cream. Hope you get the chance to try it!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 1 cup Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 2 cups Multigrain Cheerios
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with nonstick spray).
- In a large bowl, combine cereals, oats, coconut, almonds, and salt. Set aside.
- In small pot, melt coconut oil and honey together over medium heat. Turn off heat and add almond extract.
- Pour the honey mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until well coated.
- Pour onto the baking sheet and spread it out in an even layer.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Cool completely on the baking sheet and then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Tip: Use the same measuring cup for the coconut oil and the honey, and your honey will slide right out!