There’s nothing like a good muffin. Especially one that has almost as much streusel topping as it does anything else! I love the buttery goodness of a streusel topping, and this one does not disappoint. Adding some oats gives it a great texture and crunch. Always so nice to sit down with a cup of coffee and a warm muffin in the morning while I’m catching up on my reading.
Just kidding, that doesn’t happen here, but maybe at your house it will!
Since there is already a good amount of butter in the topping, I substituted coconut oil and Greek yogurt in the muffin batter itself. I really love using coconut oil in baked goods. You may wonder if the flavor of the coconut comes through, and I know that coconut oil is one of those flavors you either really love or really do not love. From what I have read, and from my own experience, I cannot taste the flavor when I use a refined coconut oil. But unrefined coconut oil has a fairly strong coconut flavor. So make sure you read the label when buying coconut oil.
I found these pretty parchment paper muffin liners at Target, and I think they really gave the muffins something to hold onto when they were trying to rise in the oven. Something a little extra fancy!
As I have noted in the recipe, you may think you have way too much topping for your muffins, but you need to be generous with the streusel because as the muffin rises, the streusel topping will thin out. If you skimp, you will have naked muffins and no one likes a naked muffin!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Vanilla flavored muffins made with coconut oil and Greek yogurt topped with a thick layer of buttery streusel topping!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Streusel
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and prepare two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut oil, sugar, eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- To prepare the streusel topping, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, flour and oats. Pour melted butter over the dry mixture, and use hands to mix form the clumpy streusel topping.
- Evenly divide the muffin batter into 18 muffins wells. I use a spring release ice cream scoop to make them uniform in size. Top each one with the streusel topping. It may seem like you had too much, but as the muffin rises the streusel topping will thin out.
- Bake at 375 for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the tin and cool.
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 201mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg