Nothing too fancy here, just an Easy Homemade Cornbread for you today. Sometimes when I’m looking for recipes to share here on Lovely Little Kitchen, I overthink things a bit and feel the need to go back to the basics. I really just want to share good, simple, reliable recipes on here that will help bring your family joy around the table, and help you feel at home in your own kitchen.
This recipe for Easy Homemade Cornbread is adapted slightly from a cookbook my mom uses when she visits Kenya. She and my dad are medical missionaries there part time, and she’s had to learn to be really resourceful in her cooking because ingredients she’s used to working with aren’t always available.
But maize, or what we call corn meal, is a staple as it is in many countries around the world. This Easy Homemade Cornbread recipe (which can also be made with milk) is the perfect side to serve with soup or chili, especially when hosting another family for dinner. You only need one bowl and a whisk to mix up the batter, and it will be ready to serve in 30-35 minutes.
I think cornbread is best with a generous smear of soft butter and a drizzle of honey alongside my Easy Crockpot Chili, or my Easy Creamy Crockpot White Chicken Chili. Perfect for a big football get together!
It’s also really tasty leftover when toasted, topped with a fried egg, cheese, and some salsa. Try it!
So next time you need a warm, cozy side dish to go along with all your favorite wintertime comfort foods, make this Easy Homemade Cornbread. You likely have all the ingredients on hand. Happy baking, friends.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
This Easy Homemade Cornbread comes together quickly in one bowl, and is the perfect side for soups and chilis. Don’t forget the butter and honey!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (or buttermilk*)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8 by 8 (or 9 by 9) inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together, and then add milk, eggs, oil, and butter. Whisk together until the batter is mostly smooth but be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and smooth it out to the edges. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed gently, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into bars and serve warm with butter and honey.
*This recipe will work with both milk and buttermilk. I think the buttermilk makes it a little more dense and rich. You can also add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the milk, stir, and let sit for 10 minutes to make a buttermilk substitute.
- Serving Size: 1 Square Serving
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 394mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
Keywords: homemade cornbread, cornbread, easy, comfort food