Good morning friends! If you’ve ever dreamed of having chips and salsa for breakfast, these Breakfast Nacho Skillets are for you.
Inspired by something I had at a little local breakfast cafe a while back, I’m loving that these are easy enough to make on a weekday morning but feel like a nice break from plain eggs and toast or cereal.
Aren’t these mini cast iron skillets fun? I’m finding that I’m doing a lot more cooking in cast iron these days. I think once you get the hang of cleaning, drying, and oiling them, they are a great alternative to nonstick pans that wear down after a while and release who knows what into my food. They are inexpensive and last forever. The only down side is they are so dern heavy! But these baby ones are perfect for individual servings.
Back to our Breakfast Nacho Skillets, the secret is definitely in the sauce! While crispy tortilla chips, cheese, black beans, fried eggs, avocado and red onions are a great start, the magic happens when you sprinkle on that cheese and creamy green chili sauce. I like the Hatch Green Chile Salsa (you can use any kind of salsa verde) from Trader Joe’s and when you mix it with a little heavy cream, the flavor is so spectacular, especially with eggs!
The basic method for making these skillets is to first partially cook your egg in a well-oiled skillet, then take the egg out and set it aside while you build your skillet. Start with the tortilla chips, black beans, cheese, and that creamy green chile sauce. Then you add your egg back on top, and place it in the oven to broil for 3-4 more minutes. This melts the cheese, warms up the black beans and finishes off the egg.
I like to take it out when the egg is still a bit on the runny side. When you cut into it, and that yolk runs out and hits the hot skillet, it’ll keep cooking and all will be right in the world. At least for breakfast it will be. Have a great week, friends!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 3 tablespoons Hatch green chile salsa (or salsa verde)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (pepper jack or cheddar)
- Creamy Green Chile Sauce
- Sliced avocado, red onion, sour cream, fresh cilantro all good choices
- In small bowl, mix salsa and heavy cream together. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon oil to a small skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is very hot, crack the egg into the oil and let it sizzle and bubble for a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat off and remove the egg from the skillet and set aside while you build your nachos.
- Layer the chips, black beans, cheese, and sauce into the skillet, then add the egg back in. Place in the upper third of the oven and turn on broil. Watch closely for 3-4 minutes and take it out when the cheese is melty and the edges of the chips are golden brown.
- Add toppings and enjoy!