These BBQ Chicken Tacos are inspired by California Pizza Kitchen’s BBQ Chicken Salad. I think I’ve only eaten there once or twice, but it was the first time I’d ever had a BBQ Chicken Salad and I loved it! I used my Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce and my favorite “doubled” fried white corn taco shell trick to make these tacos oh-so-good.
You know how white corn tortillas can be a little flimsy and prone to tearing if you stuff them a little too full? Here’s the trick: You make them into these mini cheese quesadillas, using just enough cheese to help them stick together, and then fry them in a tiny bit of oil on both sides to help crisp them up just a bit. A little sprinkle of sea salt on them, and you’ve got the best ever taco shells! Two-ply is always better than one right?
Fill your shells with BBQ chicken and then add toppings. I love adding crisp romaine, fire roasted corn, black beans, and a little extra cheese. You could also add red onion, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Add a drizzle of your favorite ranch dressing and you’ve got yourself a pretty amazing taco. My mouth is seriously watering as I type. Think we are going to make these again very soon!
These tacos are easy, fresh and just so tasty! They are small, so plan on making at least two for everyone. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These BBQ Chicken Tacos are easy, fresh and packed with flavor! Plus, learn my secret for making the best white corn taco shells.
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie from the deli)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 16 white corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons (or more as needed) vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- sea salt
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup corn (I used Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted frozen corn)
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ranch dressing
- lime wedges and cilantro if desired
- In a large bowl, toss shredded chicken with BBQ sauce to coat and set aside.
- Pour a 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a small skillet and heat on medium high heat. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cheese, and top with another tortilla. Heat until the bottom of the tortilla is slightly toasted, and the cheese is melted, then flip and toast the other side. This usually only takes a minute per side. Remove the taco shell to a paper towel and sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding more oil to the pan as needed. Be careful not to leave the oil in the pan unattended.
- Fill the taco shells with about 1/4 cup of the chicken, then top with lettuce, corn, black, beans, and cheese. Drizzle with ranch dressing. Add a squeeze of lime and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 368
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 51mg