These Bakery Style Molasses Cookies are clearly a cry for help. Any girl baking giant, soft, thick cookies slathered in a fluffy brown sugar frosting in July is most definitely done with all things summer (read: IT’S TOO HOT) and is ready for all things fall. Who’s with me?
If we bake them, it will come.
We’ve had our fun this summer for sure. We’ve filled our days with sleeping in a bit, hanging out with friends, lazy afternoons reading books on the couch altogether, and swimming every night. But the boys and I will go back to our school schedule in about a week and I think we are ready. Little Boy #1 is starting 7th grade at a school we love, and Little Boys #2 and #3 will start 5th and 3rd grades at home with me.
Back to the cookies, the frosting is glorious, but even so, these Bakery Style Molasses Cookies are definitely perfectly delicious on their own. You’re the boss of your kitchen, friends, so you get to decide.
These Bakery Style Molasses Cookies have a similar flavor to these Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps, but with a different texture. I tried to keep the ginger a little more on the subtle side in this recipe as it can really try to steal the show if too much goes into the mixing bowl.
If you decide you’d rather make smaller cookies, just make sure you decrease the baking time as well. But who would want a little cookie when they could have a big cookie?
Something about adding molasses to cookies gives them the best texture. They are super soft, chewy, and oh so thick! My whole family adored these cookies, and I made them again just to be sure of my recipe and we all enjoyed the encore just as much.
No need to wait until the weather cools down to make these. Summertime needs cookies too! Stay cool friends!Print
These Bakery Style Molasses Cookies are thick, soft, and perfectly chewy with the most glorious fluffy Brown Sugar Frosting!
- 3/4 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling)
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until pale yellow. Add egg and molasses and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. On low speed, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Scrape down the edges of the bowl and mix on low speed again until everything is combined well.
- Shape the dough into balls with 1/4 cup dough each and roll in granulated sugar. Cook six dough balls per cookie sheet for 15-16 minutes.
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth, stopping to scrap down the sides as you go. Add vanilla extract. Slowly add heavy cream and mix on medium- high speed until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Spread onto cooled cookies.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 44g
- Sodium: 312mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
Keywords: bakery style molasses cookies, bakery style cookies, molasses cookies, molasses, brown sugar frosting, cookies