This beautiful Almond Braid is a must try for all bakers! Sweet almond filling is wrapped in a soft, delicate pastry, sprinkled with sliced almonds and drizzled with almond glaze. It is a simplified version of these Buttery Almond Bear Claws that my family loves so much.
The first step is to make a quick yeast dough and the almond filling, which will be refrigerated overnight so you can be ready to assemble and bake it in the morning.
The filling uses finely chopped almonds, as well as almond paste. This ingredient can be found in the baking aisle. It is different than almond marizipan.
When you are ready to assemble the almond braid, roll the dough out on a well-floured surface into a 12-inch by 15-inch rectangle. Then place the almond filling onto the middle third of the rectangle.
Use a sharp knife to cut diagonal strips on both sides of the filling. Then fold the bottom and top ends over the filling. Alternate folding the strips from one side and then the other until you reach the end of the filling.
Transfer the braid to a parchment lined baking sheet. The parchment allows for an easy transfer to the cooling rack after baking, and easy clean-up.
Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and allow the braid to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush the top of the braid with an egg wash, and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top of the braid is golden brown. Drizzle with almond glaze for the finishing touch!
While I love finding a good recipe to guide me in the kitchen, it’s always fun to make it your own, adding your own special touch. This Almond Braid recipe is an easy one to adapt to your own taste because you can choose your own filling. A combination of sweetened cream cheese and jam would be perfect, or even chocolate!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Chill Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 13 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
This Almond Braid is a must try for all bakers! Sweet almond filling is wrapped in a delicate pastry and drizzled with almond glaze.
For the Dough
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature (reserve both egg whites in separate bowls)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- 1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces almond paste
- 1 reserved egg white
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup raw, unsalted almonds, chopped finely
- Flour for dusting work surface
- 1 reserved egg white
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
For the Dough
- Add yeast and warm water to the bowl of the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Let stand for a few minutes to dissolve the yeast.
- Add sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks and mix on low speed.
- Gradually add in the flour. Do not over mix. The dough should be buttery and slightly sticky to the touch, but manageable.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead a few times until smooth on a floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
For the Filling
- Add butter, almond paste, and egg white to the bowl of the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until smooth.
- Then add powdered sugar and flour and mix on low speed.
- Lastly, mix in the chopped almonds until well incorporated. Cover and chill until ready to assemble.
- Unwrap the dough and place it on a well-floured surface. Shape it into a rough rectangle with your hands, and then roll out into a 12-inch by 15-inch rectangle. Be patient as you roll, checking to see if the dough is sticking to the work surface and adding flour as needed.
- Trim the uneven edges with a sharp knife.
- Spoon the almond filling into the center third of the rectangle, and then pat it into an even layer.
- Use a sharp knife to cut one-inch diagonal strips in the dough from the edge of the dough to the edge of the filling.
- Fold the top and bottom edge of the dough over the filling, and then alternate folding over the strips on each side.
- Let the almond braid rise, covered with a clean kitchen towel in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Then preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and brush the top of the almond braid with the remaining egg white and sprinkle sliced almonds over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the almond braid is golden brown.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Transfer the almond braid to a cooling rack and allow to cool before drizzling with almond glaze. Slice and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 111mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
Keywords: almond braid, almond filling, pastry, almond glaze, breakfast, dessert
Leave a Reply