This rustic lemon rosemary chicken dish with orzo, white beans and vegetables comes together with layers of flavor in one Dutch oven in about an hour.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed and patted dry
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 lemon, sliced
- additional fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- In a 5 1/2 quart Dutch oven, melt butter and oil over medium high heat. Season both sides of the trimmed, dry chicken thighs with salt and pepper. When the pan is hot, sear the chicken in two batches until both sides are nicely browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a separate plate, and drain the excess oil from the pan, reserving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add chopped onions, sautéing until soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Then add carrots, celery, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté 2-3 more minutes and then add chicken broth, scraping the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beans and orzo to the broth, and bring to a boil. Then add the chicken back to the Dutch oven, top with lemon slices, and reduce heat to low so that broth is gently simmering. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F) and orzo is tender. Taste the broth for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Place each chicken thigh in a shallow bowl, and ladle a portion of the beans, orzo, veggies and broth in each bowl. Garnish with rosemary and lemon slices if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 533
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 898mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 41g
- Cholesterol: 174mg
Keywords: rustic lemon rosemary chicken and orzo, chicken, orzo, soup, dinner