For the Crust
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 2/3 cup all purpose-flour
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 18 tablespoons (a little more than a cup) strawberry jam, jelly, or preserves
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar
For the Crust
- Place chilled, cubed butter, sugar, and flour in a food processor and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Add water slowly as you process until a dough forms, add more or less water as needed. Pour the dough (may be a bit crumbly) onto a piece of plastic wrap, knead to bring together, and wrap into the shape of a disk. Chill for at least 2-3 hours.
- When you are ready to assemble and bake the pies, allow the dough to set out at room temperature for 15-20 minutes, and then roll it out on a well-floured surface. Check to see if the dough is sticking often, adding more flour as needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with 9 mason jar lids laid out.
- Use another small mason jar ring (not the wide mouth size) to cut out 18 circles in the dough. Roll each circle out so it is slightly larger, and then place it in the jar lid, letting the dough come up the sides.
- Spoon about one tablespoon of strawberry jam into each pie.
- Gather and roll remaining dough into a rectangle, and cut out strips to weave the lattice top. Cut six 1/2 inch by 3 inch strips, weave them together, and then use a mason jar ring to cut the latticed dough into a circle. Use a metal spatula to transfer the circle onto the top of the pie. Repeat the process for each pie.
- When pies are assembled, brush each one with heavy cream and sprinkle sparkling sugar generously on top.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the top of the pies are just beginning to brown.
- Let the pies cool for 5-10 minutes in the ring, and then press from the bottom to remove the ring and lid.
This idea was inspired by my boys, and also from a post a while back from Created by Diane. Check it out for more ideas!
- Serving Size: 1 Mini Pie
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg