- 1/4 ounce packet of active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus more for rolling out dough)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Optional: pizza or marinara sauce for dipping
- Add yeast and warm water to the bowl of an electric stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Allow the yeast to form up for a few minutes, and then add oil, sugar, salt, and 1 cup of the flour. Turn on the mixer to medium low speed, and gradually add 1 more cup of the flour. Once most of the flour is incorporated, add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. Turn the mixer up to medium high speed, and knead the dough for seven minutes. The dough should mostly pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl, but be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and wash the bowl. Rub some oil on the inside of the bowl, and then add the dough back to the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel for the first rise (about 45 minutes, or until the dough has at least doubled in size).
- After the first rise, roll the dough out into a rectangle shape (about 8 by 15 inches) and cut into 12 equal strips.
- Fold each strip in half onto itself and twist a few times, then set them on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and let the dough rise for the second time until the oven is ready.
- Brush each twist with butter, and sprinkle with parsley, garlic salt, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- When they come out of the oven, brush with any remaining butter. Serve warm with pizza or marinara sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 Breadstick
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 183mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 9.4mg