Tender crisp zucchini and yellow squash with a creamy white sauce with a cheesy, crunchy buttery cracker crumb topping.
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 2 cups)
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 2 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bullion Chicken base
- 1/2 cup crushed cheddar flavored crackers (I used Goldfish)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange zucchini and yellow squash in an 8 inch skillet. Starting on the outside of the skillet, overlap each slice and alternate zucchini with yellow squash. Work your way around the skillet until you eventually get to the center. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Sprinkle flour over the butter, and whisk together for a couple of minutes or until the butter is slightly browned.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken base, and whisk constantly until it simmers and thickens slightly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the white sauce over the squash. Sprinkle crushed cheddar crackers evenly over the top.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, watching to make sure the top doesn’t get too brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before serving. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 20mg