This Vanilla Cake Roll With Berries and Cream is beautifully light and fluffy, with the most delicious filling. Everyone loves it!
For the Sponge Cake
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (for dusting the towel)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs (two whole, three separated into whites and yolks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Berries and Cream Filling
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup berries (I used half frozen raspberries, half fresh strawberries, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15 by 10 by 1 inch baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Dust a clean kitchen tea towel with powdered sugar and set aside.
- In a small bowl, measure out flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside to be sifted later.
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks from three of the eggs into two large bowls. Reserve the other two eggs for later. With an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until white and frothy, and gradually add 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form (about 2-4 minutes)
- Add the two remaining eggs to the egg yolks, and then beat with the electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining 3/4 cups granulated sugar, water, and vanilla extract and then beat one more minute. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix again on low until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter. Be patient, trying to keep as much air in the batter as possible.
- Pour the sponge batter into the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. The top will be golden and the cake will spring back when pressed in the center.
- Remove the cake from the oven and quickly and confidently invert the pan onto the powder sugar coated tea towel. Remove the parchment paper from the cake, and place a clean sheet of parchment on top of the inverted cake. Starting from the short end, roll up the cake with the parchment and tea towel and allow to cool completely, about 1 hour.
For the Berries and Cream Filling
- Place the room temperate cream cheese into a large bowl. Add heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium low speed for 1 minute. As the cream thickens, increase the speed of the mixer until the cream is whipped, about 2-4 more minutes.
To Assemble the Cake Roll
- Carefully unroll the rolled up cake and remove the parchment paper. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the sponge cake evenly, leaving a slight border on the long edges. Arrange the berries evenly over the cream. Starting at the same short end, re-roll the cake. Don’t worry if some of the outside of the cake sticks to the tea towel.
- Place the cake seam side down onto a large piece of plastic wrap, and wrap snuggly to hold the cake roll together. Refrigerate for at least three hours before slicing and serving.
- Serve with additional berries and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 37g
- Sodium: 203mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 157mg
Keywords: vanilla cake roll, berries, berries and cream filling, cream filling, sponge cake, cake roll, cake