This Unstuffed Pepper Skillet recipe checks all the boxes – tasty, filling, easy, and made all in one skillet! Your family will LOVE it!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/3 ground beef (I used 85/15%)
- kosher salt for seasoning, to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked Minute rice
- 3 peppers sliced into strips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: sour cream, crushed Fritos, fresh cilantro
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet (or another heavy bottomed oven safe skillet), heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook until soft and translucent. Add ground beef, season with an additional 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and break into small pieces as it browns.
- When the beef is cooked through, stir in minced garlic, oregano leaves, dried thyme leaves, dried basil leaves, and dried onion powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour crushed tomatoes into the skillet, along with the Worcestershire, brown sugar and water stir to combine. Add another good pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil, and then add the uncooked rice.
- Place the pepper strips over the top of the ground beef and rice mixture and allow to boil uncovered for 3-4 minutes. Cover the top of the peppers with the shredded cheese and place the skillet into the oven with broiler on for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and the peppers are just tender.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving with desired toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 628mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Keywords: unstuffed pepper skillet, one skillet meal, unstuffed peppers, ground beef recipes