- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 egg, plus one egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (fluff before measuring)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- To brown the butter, heat 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pan to help the butter melt evenly. After a few minutes, it will foam up, then turn light brown. When you smell a nutty aroma, immediately remove the butter from the heat and pour it into the mixing bowl, leaving as many of the brown flecks in the pan as possible. Place the mixing bowl in the fridge to cool down the butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. When the brown butter is chilled to a soft solid, cream it together with the brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and continue mixing until well incorporated.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch together.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour and stop mixing when the dough forms and the flour is completely incorporated. The dough will be stiff, but should not be crumbly.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- For extra large, bakery style chocolate chip cookies, scoop 1/4 cup of dough onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet, six per sheet. Pat the dough into a disk shape, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 11-13 minutes. For smaller cookies, roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball, flatten the top slightly, and bake 12 cookies per sheet for 8-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies set on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container when mostly cooled.
- Serving Size: 1 Large Cookie
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 158mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 37mg