- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 10 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, plus one egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks or baking wafers, divided*
- Maldon sea salt for finishing
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, salt, baking powder, almonds and toffee bits. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until smooth and pale. Add egg and egg yolk, and mix. Add vanilla extract and mix.
- On low speed, gradually add in flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Add 1 cup of the chocolate chunks, reserving the remaining 1/4 cup for the tops of the cookie dough balls.
- Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie (I use a spring release ice cream scoop), rolling them into a ball and topping with reserved chocolate chunks. Place them onto the prepared baking sheet, six at a time.
- Bake the cookies for a total of 10-11 minutes, taking them out of the oven and firmly tapping the baking sheet on a hard surface to deflate the cookie at least three times toward the middle and end of the baking process.
- When the edges are golden and the center is not quite baked through, remove the cookies from the oven and give a final whack to deflate once again. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and finish with a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.
*If you use a bag of “chocolate chunks” the chocolate will stay in nice, neat chunks when baked. If you use a baking bar of semi-sweet chocolate and cut it yourself, the chocolate will melt into blobs. Either is fine, but I prefer the blobs.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 522mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 42mg