These Sourdough Ginger Molasses Cookies have a soft, chewy texture and are perfectly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- 3/4 cups softened salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 80 grams sourdough discard (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- Additional 1/2 cup sugar to coat dough balls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or Silpat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed. Add egg, molasses, and sourdough discard and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl on low speed until everything is incorporated and a dough forms.
- Scoop dough into balls. I used a scoop that measures about 1 1/2 tablespoons. Roll the dough ball in the sugar and place on the baking sheet (12 per sheet). No need to flatten the dough balls. They will spread out as they bake.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. Allow them to cool on a cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: sourdough ginger molasses cookies, molasses cookies, sourdough discard, Christmas cookies, holiday baking