This Sourdough Blueberry Breakfast Cake comes together quickly, tastes amazing, and is a great way to put sourdough discard to good use!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cups sourdough discard
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prepare a 9 by 9 inch baking dish by lining with parchment paper and spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and mix until smooth.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of milk, and stir in the sourdough discard and vanilla extract. Pour the milk mixture into the mixing bowl and mix at medium-low speed until incorporated.
- Switch to hand mixing, using a wooden spoon or danish dough whisk, to add the flour mixture into the mixing bowl. When most of the flour is mixed in, stop mixing.
- Add blueberries to the empty bowl that had the flour mixture in it, and add another 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Toss the blueberries around in the flour to coat them evenly. Add the blueberries (and leftover flour) into the mixing bowl and gently fold them in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar over the top of the batter evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 48-53 minutes. The top will be golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean.
- Cool completely, and then cut into squares to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 183mg
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
Keywords: sourdough blueberry breakfast cake, sourdough, blueberry, breakfast cake