- 8 ounces good quality salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- sprinkles, sparkling sugar, holly leaf decorations (optional)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add vanilla, flour, and salt and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Add the milk and mix until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log shape about 16 inches long. Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Roll the dough log in sprinkles or sparkling sugar if desired (so the edges of finished cookies will be decorated). With a sharp knife, cut the dough log in half so there are two 8 inch pieces. Rewrap one portion and place and chill until ready to use. Slice the remaining portion into 1/2 inch disks, placing each one on an unlined, ungreased baking sheet (16 per sheet). Reshape individual cookies by hand if they are not round. If you want to make a wreath shape, cut out a hole in the center of each circle with a large piping tip. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven to quickly add holly leaves and berries if desired. Return to oven and bake 5 more minutes, or until the bottom edges of the cookies are just golden brown. Bake for a total of 25-26 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Repeat slicing and baking with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container. These cookies freeze well, up to 3 months.